Pikes Peak Radio & Electronics Museum
Click on Pictures to enlarge
Last update May, 2016
|Colorado Springs Radio History
Radio Station KRCC
912 North Weber Street
Colorado Springs, CO 80903
First Broadcast 1944
Radio Station KCME
Radio reception stamp from 1920s Colorado Springs first commercial radio station. KFUM was licensed on
December 10, 1924.
Known For Unsurpassed Mountain Scenery
Owned by: W. Douglass
Corley also operated the Corley Mountain Highway toll road which was
the Cripple Creek Short Line Railroad.
Postcard from the 1920's side 1 & 2
Radio reception stamp from 1920s
Colorado Springs radio station. KFXF was licensed on
September 2, 1925. It later moved to Denver.
Radio Service & Supply Co.
411 East Pikes Peak
#84 Philco vacuum tube with service label
Garden of the Gods Easter Service
broadcast coast to coast on KVOR 1944
Murray Radio Company
United States Air Force Academy
|Pikes Peak Area Radio History
"The Golden Voice of Radio"
Lowell Thomas Museum Link
Pikes Peak Radio Amateur Association
KGHF reception verification card April 6th 1930
KPUB letterhead 1976
Limon Heritage Museum
Academy of Radio
Pueblo QSL Cards
QSL card W9NVS (no date)
|Colorado Radio History
KLZ Denver CO was licensed Mar. 10, 1922. (was W9ZAF from 1919)
Colorado Highway Patrol
September 1949 The American City Magazine Advertisement
Conoco Road Map
Conoco map listing radio
stations in Colorado. 1930's
Radio Stations as of 1929
Colorado Springs - KFUM
Pueblo - KGHF
Greely - KFKA
Gunnison - KFHA
Trinidad - KGIW
Yuma - KGEK
Fort Morgan - KGEW
Edgewater - KFXJ
Overland Trails Museum
The Overland Trails Museum is a
very impressive museum. It has a great collection of items from the
early history of Colorado including a very nice assortment of radios
and televisions. It is well worth the trip from anywhere in
Colorado. The museum does not have a website but is easy to find.
It's located just off the freeway I-76 at the Sterling exit. You can
call the museum at 970-522-3895
Colorado's 1st commercial radio station began broadcasts from the Colorado State Teachers College (now University of Northern Colorado) in 1921. The station was granted a license by the government under the call letters KFKA on June 4th 1923. The college sold the radio station on April 11, 1930 to the Mid-Western Radio Corporation and the station then moved to the Camfield hotel.
The Canfield Hotel letterhead.
Canfield Hotel postcard
Exide Battery Company
Exide battery company letter head.
Elledge Radio Service
University of Colorado
The Electrical Engineering Department was licensed by the government on June 30th 1922 with the call letters of KFAJ. The department performed experimental broadcasts and did studies for educational purposes.
University of Colorado
Radio Club W-O-Y-Q QSL card 1957, University Memorial Center
Don Bishop Colorado Radio History website link
10 TV Stations in Colorado as of 1957
Listening area 1976 courtesy David Olson
|Colorado Radio Organizations
Colorado Broadcasters Association
Radio Historical Association of Colorado
Aircraft & Radio Museum
Wings Over the Rockies Museum Link
Fort Collins, Colorado
WWV began broadcasting from Colorado in 1966
© 2005 Pikes
Peak Radio & Electronics Museum
Colorado Springs, Colorado